Conversion of an existing, historic square foot office building in Foggy Bottom, Washington, DC to 158 apartments
An opportunity to re-purpose an existing historic office building into a luxury apartment community.
This 100,000 square foot building was constructed in 1941, originally designed as an apartment building. Beginning in World War ll , the State Department continually occupied the building until they vacated in 2019.
Insight and partner ELV Associates acquired 515 22nd Street NW in January of 2019 and converted the building to its original apartment use. The Wray opened in May, 2021 as 158 apartments, preserving the historic façade of the building and original lobby while also adding modern amenities in a new penthouse structure on the roof.
For Insight and ELV, 515 22nd Street NW represents an extremely rare opportunity to acquire and re-purpose an institutional-scale community located in a tremendously desirable DC-location. The property sits three blocks south of the Foggy Bottom Metro Station, George Washington University and GW Hospital. The State Department and the World Bank are among the large employers in the neighborhood.